Madness with the 'select' function, sigalrm, and stdout. (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64)

Tue Jan 17 23:49:00 GMT 2012

On 1/17/2012 6:24 PM, Robert F wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin<reply-to-list-only-lh<at>  cygwin.com>  writes:
>>

> Your advice did solve the problem, thanks!  I wonder which specific entry in the
> changelog did it...

Great!  I thought you might at least see some different behavior.  There has
been a fair bit of work done in this area for the upcoming release, which
will be "soon".

> The unwillignness to show any text until it finds a newline seems it could be a
> cygwin issue.  Taking the following code:
>
> #ifndef __CYGWIN__
> #define SLEEP _sleep(2000)
> #else
> #define SLEEP sleep(2)
> #endif
> #include<stdio.h>
> #include<stdlib.h>
> int main() {
>   int i;
>   while(1) {
>    for(i = 0; i<  5; i++) {
>     printf("%c", 'a'+i);
>     SLEEP;
>    }
>    SLEEP;
>    printf("\n");
>   }
> }
>
> When built in visual C++, it will show 'a', 'b', 'c' etc every 2 seconds.  When
> built in cygwin with gcc, it will show 'abcde' every 10 seconds.  The latter
> happens whether I run it from a bash console or windows console.
>
> I'll start a new thread for this if noone off-handedly has the answer...

So you're saying the snapshot exhibits the above behavior?

--
Larry