Use of acl on smb related filesystems

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@freemail.ru
Wed Jan 25 01:19:00 GMT 2012

Greetings, Andrew DeFaria!

>> It's probably because your FS doesn't support ACLs.  Your mount
>> output
>>
>>    //fs-irva-82/adefaria on /home/adefaria type netapp (binary,user)
>>
>> shows that the path points to a NetApp drive.  NetApp drives have
>> various modes.  They can behave like FAT, NTFS, or a POSIX filesystem.
>>  From your other report I assume it's set up not to support ACLs.
>> What does
>>
>>    $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo //fs-irva-82/adefaria
>>
>> print?
> Ltsdo-adefaria:/usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo //fs-irva-82/adefaria
> Device Type        : 7
> Characteristics    : 10
> Volume Name        : <CIFS.HOMEDIR>
> Serial Number      : 0
> Max Filenamelength : 255
> Filesystemname     : <FAT>
> Flags              : 40007
>    FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
>    FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
>    FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
>    FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : FALSE
>    FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
>    FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
>    FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
>    FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
>    FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
>    FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
>    FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

> My guess is that FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS: FALSE is not a good sign.

Starting from "Filesystemname     : <FAT>" the rest was quite predictable.

> Is this related to this thread:
> http://old.nabble.com/NetAPP---cygwin-1.7.7-1-avoid-Recycle-BIN-dot-files-td30236482.html?

> In the next reply you advocate me getting a more recent "snapshot". Did
> you mean a more recent "release"

When one of the head developers says "snapshot", she do mean "snapshot".

> or do you want me to move to "snapshots" (which I assume are sorta like
> betas.

They "sorta like" any quality they are happened to be.
But right now, they are in a state of release candidates for 1.7.10.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...