best way to re-install and keep cygwin configuration

ping songpingemail@gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:32:00 GMT 2012

On 07/12/2012 09:09 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, LMH!
>

> Totally unnecessary. If you've maintained your installation for quite some
> time, updating regularly, then setup cache contains lots of obsolete packages.
> Would be much, much faster to just burn it and download new setup.exe when you
> need it.

this sound to me that I made a mistake.
I typically when got a new pc, or a new installation of OS, just
download setup.exe
and install "ALL" a/v package, in order to ease the future usage.
but now it typically takes 1 or 2 days to finish, considering also
install cygwin port packages...
I'll install based on a "install-on-need" base...next time.

b.t.w., comparing with a "real" linux, like ubuntu, the current cygwin
package maintenance tool
seems still in the raw stage , comparing with apt-get machanism ... not
to complain..