Cygwin fresh install imports Windows PATH which includes spaces causing errors

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Jul 25 02:00:00 GMT 2012

On 7/24/2012 6:09 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:
> On 25/07/2012 2:47, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>
>> There'd be a /bin/make if you installed it...
>>
>>     $ which make
>>     /bin/make
>>
>> IMHO it's always better to go with a Cygwin way of doing things instead
>> of installing some Unix/Linux thing through some Windows port like this
>> Symbian\tools thing...
> >

> That make.exe was installed by Symbian Qt SDK which is windows native,
> nothing to do with cygwin.
And, IMHO, should be avoided like the plague... Just my opinion.
> In fact, that make.exe calls a perl script called make.pl:
>
> use FindBin;
> use lib $FindBin::Bin;
> use tlaunch;
> callTool('','\\epoc32\\tools\\make.exe',\@ARGV);
>
> So anyway, the problem is caused when calling a binary present on
> windows path that can match a cygwin one, for example running a
> ./configure script.
>  After removing make the issue is happening again:
>
> $ make
> cygwin warning:
>   MS-DOS style path detected: /usr/local/bin/C:\Program
>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/local/bin/C:/Program
>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
> warning.
>   Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
> Can't find C:\Program on PATH.
Maybe when in Cygwin, /bin and /usr/bin should be put in your PATH ahead
of the Windows stuff. I know I've run with C:\Cygwin\bin in the front of
my Windows System Environment PATH variable for years without issue
(though I think some around here might say it's not a good idea).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little pictures of cats