cygwin 1.7.15: svn disk I/O error

Rolf Campbell rcampbell-cygwin@dragonwaveinc.com
Fri Jun 15 13:24:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-06-15 06:37, Warren Young wrote:
> On 6/14/2012 4:00 PM, Garrison, Jim (ETW) wrote:
>>> Why would you think that a disk I/O error was either anti-virus or
>>> Cygwin related and not... a disk I/O error?  Have you looked in your
>>> event logs for errors?
>>
>> It is indeed AV related -- a race between SQLite and AV
>
> That's one possibility, but check this out:
>
>      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11007024/
>
> tl;dr: someone made the problem go away by rolling my recent 3.7.12
> release back to the prior 3.7.3 version.
>
> I doubt the problem is in the upstream changes between .3 and .12.  I'm
> more worried about the build option changes.  SQLite has a lot of
> Windows-specific code in it, plus some Cygwin-specific code, too.  The
> build changes override some things to force it to believe it's being
> built for a more generic POSIX type system.
>
> It may be both things: the build option changes that force more I/O
> calls to go through Cygwin instead of direct to the Win32 API could be
> tickling BLODA bugs.
>
> Yet another possibility is that the build option changes cause a subtle
> ABI change that will be fixed when SVN is rebuilt against it.

Also, I don't think I'm running any A/V software (Windows keeps nagging
me that my system is *not* running A/V).  I uninstalled it to see if
that was the problem before reporting it to this list.

Also#2: I'm seeing this problem on a Win7x64 machine, but I also have a
WinXPx32 machine which has started exhibiting the same symptoms.  That
one *is* running Symantec A/V (which I've never had trouble with
before).  It's a work machine, and I don't have permissions to uninstall
A/V, but I'll see if I can convince the IT guy to uninstall it for a
while to see if that resolves the problem.