CYGWIN app crashes ungracefully when run from the root of a drive

Mon Jun 18 20:22:00 GMT 2012

On Jun 11 11:39, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it has been covered somewhere -- I could not find the answer, so please
> excuse the repetition.  I observe that if I build an app (consider the simplest
> "Hello world" program below as an example), and store the executable at a standalone
> location (not CYGWIN tree), yet supplemented it with a cygwin1.dll, it can then successfully
> run when started in the Windows shell (CMD.EXE) from a subdirectory, but fails ungracefully
> if run from the root of a drive (e.g. when stored onto a USB stick that has the "flat"
> file structure, w/o subdirectories).
>
> Can anything be done about it?  (Like allowing the app to run, or issuing an error

I just applied a patch which allows to run Cygwin applications, even if
the Cygwin DLL is installed into the root directory of a drive or
network path.

Note that certain paths still have to match the expectations.  For
instance, if D: is the root dir, the fstab, passwd and group files are
still searched in /etc, which is D:\etc.
Also the /usr/bin and /usr/lib default mount points will invariably
point to D:\bin and D:\lib, unless there's a /etc/fstab file which
changes them per the user's guide.

Corinna

Red Hat