Backspace

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Jun 20 15:36:00 GMT 2012

Have you ever had the backspace key not go backward on character erasing
the previous character in Windows programs? Neither have I.

This has been bothering me for a while so... I have properly set stty
erase ^h and from the bash command line backspace works as expected. But
I often find places where this setting is not honored. I have an
example. If I type less <filename> and at the less prompt I type "/' to
find a string, but then make a mistake and hit backspace I get ^?
instead. But ^h works. Why? Even the man page for less says that
backspace is supposed to delete the character to the left of the cursor
but instead I just get ^?.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Courage is knowing what not to fear.