Backspace

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Jun 21 00:07:00 GMT 2012

On 6/20/2012 11:05 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> I see the same thing if I set stty erase (in bash) as you did and
> start a new shell (bash again) from it.  Of course, the parent shell
> outputs ^? for any press of backspace.  This behavior is the same for
> bash started from a command prompt and from mintty.
An stty -a shows erase = ^h. Mintty is set to send ^h when the backspace
character is pressed. At the bash command line backspace works as
expected, the previous character is erased. However, if I do less <file>
backspace does not behave properly or at least... Wait! I'm seeing
something here.

I get this problem with Console - another, non-Cygwin terminal emulator
and I see this problem with gnome-terminal. I don't see this problem
with mintty.

Any idea of how to fix this for say gnome-terminal? Surely there are
some out there who use regular Linux and gnome-terminal and ssh to
Cygwin boxes...
> Beyond personal preference, is there a reason that you don't just take
> the default (i.e. don't set stty erase)?  That works for me.
Ah, cause I want a backspace to backspace? :confused:

Stated differently, I want the backspace key to move backwards one space
and to erase the previous character, like, for example, the less man
page says it's supposed to.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.