Backspace

Thu Jun 21 16:10:00 GMT 2012

On 21/06/2012 11:58 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish by enforcing ^H.
>> The Cygwin console as well as mintty, the Linux console or any X
>> terminal
>> emulation I'm aware of default to ^? to be generated by the backspace
>> key, and stty erase is by default set to ^? as well, usually.  Why don't
>> you just use the default?
>
> Because some time in the past I had problem with backspace not working
> and setting erase to ^h fixed it. I've had this setting for years -
> perhaps decades...

At this point I'd revert to defaults until I saw a problem worse than
those caused by the non-default setting.

If you're only interacting with cygwin and linux at this point, you
should be safe. Solaris and the other Unixes can be a real pain about
the whole ^H vs ^? thing, but Solaris has gotten a lot better in the
last few years and Unix has largely disappeared (I haven't had to
interact with a Unix box in a decade or so).

Ryan