RCS file corruption.

Brian Wilson wilson@ds.net
Thu Jun 21 21:10:00 GMT 2012

> I suspect this happens because sometimes I edit the files on my Linux box and
sometimes on my Windows box.

If I remember correctly, RCS (and the earlier SCCS systems) were designed to
work with source code (i.e. text files).  They determined file changes based on
lines added or deletes and had a fixed length internal buffer used to read each
line.  From what I've read in this discussion, I think the issue is that the
'^M' characters may not be seen by RCS as an EOL.  If that is the case, RCS will
read the whole file as a single line and large files (>65KB) may not be properly
handled.

Use dos2unix and unix2dos to convert the files and you will probably eliminate
the issue.

My $0.02

Brian S. Wilson