cygheap base mismatch detected

Thu Mar 1 10:52:00 GMT 2012

On Feb 29 14:30, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I've been running into a strange "error" lately (that is, I first
> noticed it for sure on 1.7.10, but it MIGHT have occurred also on 1.7.9.
> It persists on 1.7.11). cygcheck -- and *only* cygcheck -- is reporting
> a cygheap base mismatch but only on an XP64 machine:
>
> $ cygcheck -cd cygwin
>       1 [main] cygcheck (3756) C:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe: *** fatal
> error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x61270870/0x2170870.
> This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
> cygwin DLL.
> Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
> and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
> *should*
> reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
> installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
> are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version
> cygwin               1.7.11-1
>
> (Note that cygcheck actually *does* complete the requested command,
> after the error message from (cygwin1.dll/dcrt0.cc?) is printed.

Very strange.  For two reasons.  First of all, why is the mismatch
message printed at all?  The code in question is basically:

  if (res->cygheap != (void *) &_cygheap_start)
    multiple_cygwin_problem (...);

But res->cygheap and &_cygheap_start are apparently identical, so why
is multiple_cygwin_problem called?

And then multiple_cygwin_problem calls api_fatal to print the message
which means that ultimately TerminateProcess() is called.

I tried that on my XP64 test machine and cygcheck worked fine.

Could you do a parallel installation on the same machine and see how it
behaves there?

Corinna

Red Hat