Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem

Earnie Boyd earnie@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 1 18:28:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 10:07:33AM -0800, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:

>>> OK, what would cause someone to add xinit as a dependency to
>>something?
>>
>>One reason I keep asking this question is that I don't understand the
>>rationale against adding xinit.
>
> Yaakov posted the rationale.  You responded to it.  Additional messages
> insisting how much you want this are really pretty pointless.

<quote>
Here's my advice: it would be a better use of your time to install xinit
and accustom yourself to the wonders of X rather than hopelessly trying
to find a way to continue living in the past.
</quote>

<quote>
Using X requires user intervention to start an X server first.  No
amount of automatic dependencies will change this, and therefore I don't
expect that the number of questions would change one iota.
</quote>

But if TK needs an X server started in must be a installed and is a
dependency of TK to have X server.  Yes, one has to start it but why
not require the dependency so that the X server software exists to use
already?  I agree with Matt, I'm not getting the angst for adding the
X server as a dependency for TK which requires it.  Having to start it
is a different matter.

--
Earnie