question on Cygwin's version of make

Paul Allen Newell pnewell@cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 2 01:50:00 GMT 2012

On 3/1/2012 9:35 AM, LMH wrote:
> Some folks call make from a bash file to take advantage of things that
> bash can do and make can't, or at least easily. Using a "config.sh" to
> run make could let you test anything you want, print warnings, or
> exit, if anything is spotted. If everything looks good, the script can
> call make. This is common when you need to collect information about
> the local configuration (OS, arch, preferences, etc) in a portable way.
>
> Don't know if that helps, but that is what occurred to me reading you
> post.
>
> LMH

LMH:

Thanks for the reply. For many years, I've had no trouble doing
everything inside a makefile, including getting platform/OS/etc. I've
seen posts that use a config.sh or similar ... up until now I've had no
need to consider that path.

Given that the problem is identified (basename doesn't like spaces), a
fix is easy (don't use spaces), and everything works, I don't think
switching is going to help me. Its more and more looking (to me) like a
error/warning message is thrown by basename which is being called under
the hood by make (as opposed to my explicitly using that function) and,
right now, I can't capture the message when I think I am getting
everything stdout and stderr is spitting out.

Paul