make producing basename error that can't be captured by "make &> make.out"

Kenneth Wolcott kennethwolcott@gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 03:10:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 19:05, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 18:52, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Cygwin:
>>
>> I've already run an earlier version of this through the list to see if I
>> was dealing with pilot error. Its gotten to the point that it was suggested
>> I consult http://cygwin.com/problems.html and submit.
>>
>> The issue came up when I did a Windows cut-and-paste of a directory in my
>> cygwin home, cd-ed to it, and got a basename error when I ran make. Was able
>> to figure out that make didn't like "Copy\ of\ myStuff" and all I had to do
>> was remove the spaces and everything was happy.
>>
>> But while trying to debug, I found another issue. The first is that I
>> wanted to trap all output to a file so I could run make -d to see where
>> basename was getting called. So, I used "make -d &> make.out" per #3.6 in
>> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html. Everything except the
>> basename error went to the file ... basename still printed to the screen.
>> Tried other variations with no success. That's when it was suggested I do
>> the report.html.
>>
>> I went through the archives and the closest I found was a 2005 post with
>> a basename error, but it seemed to not cover what I was seeing.
>>
>> To show the problem:
>>
>> Create a directory called "myStuff" in one's cygwin home directory. Do a
>> "cd myStuff" and run make. It will say no targets or makefile found. Now,
>> open the cygwin home directory with a Windows "right click Open". Do a Copy
>> and then a Paste of myStuff to get "Copy\ of\ myStuff". Do a cd into that
>> directory and run make. I am getting:
>> +++
>> $make
>> basename: extra operand 'myStuff'
>> Try 'basename --help' for more information.
>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>> +++
>>
>> That's the original problem and this test proves that it is nothing in my
>> makefile as there is no makefile, its happening in the execution of make.
>> With make -d, it still is the first thing called before one gets the opening
>> stuff about which version, no warranty, etc..
>>
>> If I type "make &> make.out", the basename error still goes to the screen
>> and the no target/makefile goes to make.out.
>>
>> The issue I am reporting is the lack of capturing the basename error to
>> make.out, though I do think basename not being able to understand
>> directories with space(s) is a nuisance worth noting.
>>
>> Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide (cygcheck
>> attached)
>> Thanks,
>> Paul

Is it possible that scripts and executables write to file descripter 3 or
4 or 5?  File descriptor 0 is STDIN (normally), and file descriptor 1 is
STDOUT (normally) and file descripter 2 is SDTERR (normally).

So, perhaps you might want to try to capture/merge the output of file
descriptor 3, or 4 or 5?

The syntax for merging is quite similar to the "2<&1" for bash which means
"please merge the STDERR with the STDOUT".

HTH,
Ken Wolcott