1.7.10 cygrunsrv.exe fails with "fork: 11, Resource temporarily unavailable"

Ulf-Dietrich Braumann braumann@uni-leipzig.de
Fri Mar 2 14:39:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

I run in a similar problem after I have updated cygwin1.dll from 1.7.9 to
1.7.11 on Win2k3 64bit. When I now try to start sshd as a service

C:\>net start sshd
The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly.

In the windows event viewer I found

"... starting service `sshd' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily
unavailable."

Inspired by Carl Soderstrom's solution for a similar problem I have tried
a program-individual heap size setting using

$ peflags --cygwin-heap=1024 /usr/sbin/sshd.exe

but without success. Unfortunately, since we have now cygwin1.dll in
version 1.7.11 I can no longer simply roll back to 1.7.9 (where the heap
setting was done in the previous global way).

Any hints welcome - Ulf-Dietrich