mintty scroll to bottom

Fri Mar 2 20:40:00 GMT 2012

On 02/03/2012 3:20 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 2 March 2012 08:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> There's no such option. Shift+End will get you back to the current
>>> output after looking at something in the scrollback, as will any
>>> keypress that sends something to the terminal.
>> Any chance to implement this?  Automatic scroll-to-bottom is a useful
>> feature, IMHO.
> I disagree. The point of being able to scroll back to earlier output
> is to read and perhaps copy something. When doing that, having the
> scrollback jump back to the bottom without the user asking for it is
> rather unhelpful. The Windows console does this, and I always found it
> really frustrating.
Heh. Frustration seconded. Trying to highlight a moving target is
especially annoying.

My workaround (for reading, at least) is to drag the scrollbar manually
upward with the mouse... once finished reading I just "drag" it a couple
inches to the side so Windows gives up and reverts to the bar's original
at-bottom position. Even then, though, a spam-happy terminal can be hard
to pin down because the scrollpane grows so fast.

I'd be interested to hear of a situation where scroll-to-bottom is
useful and Shift+End/keypress isn't satisfactory.

BTW, what happens in mintty if the part of the output you're looking at
falls out of the scrollback buffer while you're looking at it? Does it
start scrolling at line rate but 5000 lines back in time?

Ryan