question on Cygwin's version of make

Paul Allen Newell pnewell@cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 2 20:46:00 GMT 2012

> On Mar  1 17:50, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Given that the problem is identified (basename doesn't like spaces),
> This is not correct.  It's not that basename doesn't like spaces, the
> problem is incorrect quoting.  Example:
>
>    $ basename /a/b/c.d .d
>    $ basename "/a/b/c.d .d"
>    c.d .d
>
> And since the result still contains a space, you still have to quote
> it when using it in subsequent calls:
>
>    $ cat "c.d .d"
>    Hello
>    $ cat c.d .d
>    cat: c.d: No such file or directory
>    cat: .d: No such file or directory
>

> Corinna

Corinna:

Thanks. Once Dave Korn led me to the alias I had in .bashrc and I could
see that I was, in fact, calling basename (and my alias wasn't correct),
everything began to fall into place.

My original assumption was very incorrect.

I also thank you for showing me that it will be a double quote and not a
single quote.

Paul