cygport suggestion: src_postinstall

Sun Mar 11 05:53:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-03-09 17:53, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/9/2012 5:58 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> On 2012-03-09 15:26, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> and I don't like some of the things that are done in __src_postinst when
>>> I build that package.
>>
>> Could you specify?
>
> There are two things:
>
> 1. I don't think __prepemacs should be called for this package because
> the compile process explicitly byte compiles most of the *.el files.
> There are three (at the top level of /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp) that it
> does not byte compile. I don't know the reason, but I don't think the
> Cygwin build should override this upstream decision.

The official way to avoid byte compilation is with no-byte-compile[1].
preview-latex.el and tex-site.el are so marked, so they won't be
compiled anyway.  auctex.el is not so marked, so either there is no
reason to not compile it, or else it should also be marked; either way,
this should be fixed upstream.

> 2. I would prefer that __prep_texlive not be called, since it causes the
> postinstall script to do unnecessary work. All that's needed for auctex
> is mktexlsr.

Then we should figure out how to fine-tune __prep_texlive().  The first
mktexlsr is always needed, and the updmap-sys will be limited to
packages including Add*Map command(s) per our other thread.  Should we
limit the fmtutil-sys call to packages including addFormat command(s)?
Do any non-texlive packages add anything which would necessitate a call
to updmap-sys and/or fmtutil-sys?

Yaakov

(BTW: cygport discussion is on-topic in cygwin-apps; it would be easier
for me to have these discussions there.)

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Byte-Compilation.html