emacsclient from cygwin distro does not work with Cygwin emacs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:52:00 GMT 2012

On 3/14/2012 6:19 AM, Leo wrote:
> emacsclient works fine when I unset the environment variable
> "EMACS_SERVER_FILE". This holds true regardless what server-auth-dir is
> set to.
>
> In order to produce the error, do the following:
>
> (1) start emacs -Q.
> (2) execute in the scratch buffer
> (require 'server)
>
> (setq server-auth-dir "~/")
>
> (server-start)
>
> (3) go to a cygwin bash (outside emacs)
>
> (4) set EMACS_SERVER_FILE to "~/server"
>
> (5) run the command
>
> emacsclient ~/.emacs
>
> and you get the error message from the original post, but you'd expect
> to get in emacs a buffer displayed with the .emasc file.

You forgot to provide the pointers to the documentation that I
requested, explaining why you would expect this.  The documentation for
`server-auth-dir' says "We only use this if `server-use-tcp' is non-nil.
  Otherwise we use `server-socket-dir'."

You didn't set `server-use-tcp' in your instructions above.  If I insert

   (setq server-use-tcp t)

before

   (server-start)

in your step (2), evaluating (server-start) gives me the error message
"The directory `~' is unsafe".  So it looks like emacsclient is working
as expected.

Is there a reason you want emacsclient to use TCP instead of (the
default) local sockets?  I suspect this is due to your previous use of
native Windows emacs.  Here's a quote from the emacsclient info file:

      An Emacs server usually uses an operating system feature called a
      "local socket" to listen for connections.  Some operating systems,
      such as Microsoft Windows, do not support local sockets; in that
      case, Emacs uses TCP instead.

BTW, I'm working in a test build of emacs-24.1.  I haven't checked to
see what happens in emacs-23.4, but it doesn't seem relevant at this point.

Ken