gdb problem

Fri May 4 03:10:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 04:05:04PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
>On 10/23/2011 5:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Thanks for the STC. I had to tweak it to actually see how it was supposed
>>> to work on Linux since only a limited number of lines from the pty were
>>> being output. I've included the revised test case below.
>>>
>>> I made a simple change to Cygwin which will probably cause subtle
>>> problems somewhere down the line. At least for now it seems to make gdb
>>> operate as expected.
>>>
>>> I'm building a new snapshot now.
>>
>> Thanks, that fixes it (as well as the emacs problem that originally led
>> to this report). In case there are emacs users wondering what this is
>> about, I've been testing emacs-24, which uses gdb -i=mi instead of the
>> obsolete gdb --annotate=3 used by emacs-23.
>
>I'm replying to this old thread because the problem is back again in
>cygwin-1.7.14-2.  I haven't checked to see exactly when it first
>reappeared (but I'll do this if it would help.)  The same STC as before
>exhibits the problem; I'm attaching it for convenience.

Thanks for the heads up.  This should be fixed in the next snapshot.

Incidentally, I've started putting longer explications of what I've
debugged and how I debugged it in a "DevNotes" file in the source:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/DevNotes?cvsroot=src

I hope to keep this up-to-date with extended rationales for why things
were done a certain way and with descriptions about the steps that I
used to track down a problem.

This file is not a substitute for comments (we've been trying to be more
diligent about commenting changes in the source) or a ChangeLog but I
hope that it will help me in the future when I have to figure out "Why
the heck did I make that change?"

cgf