bad performance when opening many files on Win7

Achim Gratz Stromeko@NexGo.DE
Tue May 8 13:19:00 GMT 2012

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> Fetching all groups from the DC gave me some 60000 entries in a 4MiB group
> file.  And if anything, things became even slower when using that file.

I finally found some reproduceable case where the lsass.exe process will go
berserk.  It's all programs that scan all files in /usr/bin... there are 3800
and there seems to be no caching of any sort going on, so that always takes
about 20 seconds. :-(

I've scanned the ACL in that directory and these are the principals used:

BUILTIN\Administrators
BUILTIN\Administrators
BUILTIN\Users
BUILTIN\Users
AD\Domain Users
AD\Domain Users
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

I have these in /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group.  I'm probably missing out on:

Everyone
Everyone
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

How does one get suitable entries for /etc/group on these (I have
Authentificated Users:S-1-5-11:11: in /etc/group, but nothing that I could map
to "Everyone")?

Regards,
Achim.