CYGWIN inode over Samba share not constructed from IndexNumber

Fri May 11 16:24:00 GMT 2012

[Sigh.  Resending with CC]

On May 11 11:42, starlight.2012q2@binnacle.cx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ran into a quirk that caused some trouble.
>
> For some reason CYGWIN 1.7.5 (I know this is old)

You should really update.

> is constructing inode values for files on
> Samba (3.6.4) shares with a different algorithm
> than is used for files on NTFS volumes.
>
> This caused a script that checks for matching
> hard-links to fail.
>
> Confirmed that Samba is returning the actual
> inode values in 'IndexNumber' with 'procmon'
> while running the
>
>    stat -c '%h %d %i' filename
>
> command.  See https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2012-May/167381.html.
>
> Is CYGWIN mistaking the Samba share for a FAT32
> volume and using an inode-faking algo?  Or

It depends on what Samba returns as file system information.  Right now
Cygwin expects valid inode information only from filesystems which
return the FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS flag, except for netapps (never) and nfs
(always).

Additionally, the returned file ID must be > 0xffffffff, otherwise we
don't trust the server to generate usefule file IDs.  This usually only
affects remote NT4 NTFS and Samba < 3.0.

Assuming your Samba drive is //server/share, please run

  /usr/lib/getVolInfo //server/share

and post the output as reply here.  As an example, this is what my
Samba shares return:

  $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe //server/share
  Device Type        : 7
  Characteristics    : 10
  Volume Name        : <corinna>
  Serial Number      : 2469776470
  Max Filenamelength : 255
  Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
  Flags              : 1002f
    FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
    FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
    FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
    FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE		<- !!!
    FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
    FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
    FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
    FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
    FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
    FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
    FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : TRUE
    FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
    FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : FALSE
    FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
    FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
    FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

If your Samba doesn't set FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS to TRUE, you have to
change your smb.conf file so that it does.

Corinna

Red Hat