Creating CD of installation packages: Download incomplete. Try again?

Robert Pendell shinji+cygwin@elite-systems.org
Sat Nov 24 16:06:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Paul wrote:
> Robert Pendell <shinji+cygwin <at> elite-systems.org> writes:
>> If you can find the .tmp files then try deleting them and redownloading from
>> another mirror.  It is possible the file is failing the validation check and
>> the installer is assuming(?) an incomplete file.  I personally pull from the
>> kernel.org mirror and it works fine.
>
> The sites that I use have worked fine for years, so this is something of an
> anomaly.
>
> No hits come up with "find <package-directory> -name '*tmp*'".
>
> I managed to kluge a method to compare my installed packages with those
> downloaded and recorded in setup.log, thus identifying potentially missing
> packages and confirming that they will probably not be a problem.  The listing
> of installed packages was gotten using cygcheck while the setup.log contained
> all the packages that successfully downloaded.  I removed all the extraneous
> information in the 2 files that did not relate to packages, used vim editor
> capabilities to make the formatting match between the 2 files, then sorted the
> packages by name.  Here are the missing packages:
>
>    Obsolete
>    --------
>    _autorebase 000164-1
>    _update-info-dir 01088-1
>    libpng12 1.2.50-2
>    libpng14 1.4.12-3
>    libpng14-devel 1.4.12-3
>    vala-libcanberra-gtk 0.29-1
>    w32api 9999-1
>
>    Not obsolete
>    ------------
>    libpoppler19 0.18.4-2
>
> I determined whether a package was obsolete by using the cygwin's setup.exe,
> putting the versionless package name into the Search field, and toggling the
> switch for hiding obsolete packages.  I'm not too worried about the 1 missing
> non-obsolete package, since setup.exe will prompt you to include packages that
> are needed to fulfill dependencies.
>
> However, I was surprised to see the obsolescence of autorebase.  It was just
> recently made fully functional.  Perhaps it has been folded into another
> package.  I browsed the cygwin website & documentation to find release notes
> that might explain this, but no luck.  I also tried googling for release notes,
> in vain.
>
> Anyway, I will create a CD of the installation packages and test it on Monday.
>
> Thanks!

It isn't obsolete.  All obsolete packages get assigned to _obsolete
group.  _autorebase is assigned to _PostInstallLast and is still an
active group.  It is likely hidden by default to minimize confusion.

Robert Pendell
A perfect world is one of chaos.