bash very slow in cygwin 1.7.16-1 Win7/64 bit

Gregory M. Turner gmt@malth.us
Mon Oct 1 16:01:00 GMT 2012

On 10/1/2012 8:22 AM, Adam Kessel wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM, jojelino <jojelino@gmail.com> wrote:
>> if the SkyDrive is trademark of M$ and if it needs network connection to remote server, it would piss you off like you have been experienced.
>> If it is the case, please stop using *Skydrive* mounted directory as home directory for specific user of cygwin unless your network connection
>> is faster than your hard drive and it isn't that fast for sure according to your complaint.
>
> SkyDrive is not a network-mounted directory. Instead, it is a local
> directory that is periodically synced to the cloud. But you can have
> no network access at all and it works fine. Indeed, when running
> cygwin offline (no network) I get the same result. Also, if I change
> my home directory to something that is not synced to the cloud (e.g.
> just c:\) I get the same slowness.
>
> I have been keeping my home directory in SkyDrive for a while so I
> have the same home directory across multiple devices. The slowness is
> only recent, long after I started using SkyDrive.

Did you at least try chainging your ${HOME} to somewhere normal and
seeing what happens?  Perhaps SkyDrive has some feature that makes
Cygwin crazy.  For example, your cygwin could have inotify listeners on
${HOME} which could be somehow accidentally triggering SkyDrive's
"refresh the pretty icons" mechanism which could be tickling the inotify
listeners which could be somehow accidentally triggering SkyDrive's
"refresh the pretty icons" mechanism which could be tickling the inotify
listeners which could be somehow accidentally triggering SkyDrive's
"refresh the pretty icons" mechanism which could be tickling the inotify
listeners which could be somehow accidentally triggering SkyDrive's
"refresh the pretty icons" mechanism which could be tickling the inotify
listeners...

-gmt