bash very slow in cygwin 1.7.16-1 Win7/64 bit

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Oct 1 17:27:00 GMT 2012

On 10/1/2012 12:55 PM, Adam Kessel wrote:
>>> Yeah, I tried setting ${HOME} to /cygdrive/c and "c:\" and even just
>>> "/" with no change in results.
>> I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but I wouldn't
>> call any of these settings of $HOME "normal".  I think most people leave
>> $HOME unset, in which case it gets set to /home/username during a Cygwin
>> session.
>
> At least in my experience, standard cygwin install doesn't create
> anything under /home.

In a standard Cygwin install, the script
/etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh runs 'mkpasswd -l -c >
/etc/passwd', which sets the home directory for each user.  Normally
this is /home/username, but you can check it by looking at /etc/passwd.
  Then the first time you start a shell, /etc/profile creates the home
directory (as specified in /etc/passwd) if it doesn't exist.  This
assumes that HOME is not set in the Windows environment.  Are you seeing
something different?

Ken