Relationship between Cygwin and Cygwin Ports

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 05:24:00 GMT 2012

On 10/8/2012 12:34 AM, David Stacey wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Earlier this evening I submitted an ITP for yasm. I didn't realise at
> that point that yasm was available in Cygwin Ports - which means that I
> have probably just trodden on Yaakov's toes, and for that I apologise.
>
> Please could someone kindly explain the difference between Cygwin and
> Cygwin Ports. Why are they kept separate, and under what circumstances
> could a package migrate between the two? Apologies if I should know
> this, but there doesn't appear to be mention of it in the Cygwin FAQ.
>
> Many thanks in advance for clarifying this,
>
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

Cygwin Ports is the personal effort of one of main Cygwin
package maintainers  to provide additional packages.
He usually provide/test new version not ready or with additional
requirement than packages available in Cygwin, but also a lot of other
packages in addition at his mainstream effort:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

No problem to migrate a package assuming someone takes ownership
of the package in Cygwin as maintainer.
I took several of Yaakov's packages and adopted mainstream in the past,
usually checking/reusing what Yaakov already did.

No need to cancel your ITP.

Regards
Marco