Displaying extended ASCII characters in output of octal dump as hexadecimal

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:29:00 GMT 2012

On 10/9/2012 7:25 PM, Olumide wrote:
> When I run octal dump (od) I notice that extended ASCII characters are
> displayed incorrectly as ordinary characters. For example, the extended
> characters 191, 196, and 218 are displayed as '?' , 'D' and 'Z'
> respectively. I thought od was 'anding' the each character with 127, but
> I've been informed that this because my shell/terminal is not configured
> to display non-ASCII characters.
>
> How can I configure Cygwin to display extended characters as in
> hexadecimal format?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Olumide

are you sure ?

assuming your 191 is decimal so BF exadecimal

$ cat prova.txt |od -c
0000000 277 \n
0000003

od produces the same output under mintty (TERM=XTERM)
and console (TERM=CYGWIN)
and its output is in octal.

Marco