latex no longer works after update

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:55:00 GMT 2012

On 10/10/2012 4:47 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 10:20 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> yesterday, I did an update of cygwin with setup.exe and now latex stopped
>> working at all. It just silently doesn't do anything at all, no matter
>> what
>> type of input or options I give it. Not even "latex --version" gives
>> me any
>> output anymore.
>>
>> I found http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-04/msg00599.html but changing
>> the
>> PATH variable don't seem to help at all.
>>
>> I have attached output of cygcheck.
>>
>> Any hints what might be screwed up here?
>
> First, reboot.  If you still see the problem, stop all Cygwin processes
> and reinstall the cygwin package.  If you still have problems after that
> look at the output of 'cygcheck latex'.  You should find one or more DLLs
> that it says it cannot find.  Check which package has those DLLs (via
> cygcheck -p or <http://cygwin.com/packages/>) and (re)install them.

in this case

cygwin                                   1.7.16-1                      OK

2235k 2012/05/09 D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2012/5/9 10:25
     Cygwin DLL version info:
DLL version: 1.7.15

so if reboot does not work, than Josef you need to re-install the
cygwin- 1.7.16-1   package

Regards
Marco