R 2.15.1-1 sub() function produces unexpected output

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Tue Oct 16 19:03:00 GMT 2012

On 10/12/2012 4:56 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 9:18 AM, Toby Johnson wrote:
>>
>> The sub() function in R 2.15.1-1 produces unexpected output.  Here is
>> a minimal piece of R code:
>
> I believe sub() is using PCRE for this, per http://goo.gl/XxDyB

I just looked back at this and since there was no further commentary, I
decided to dig a little deeper, and saw the "perl" parameter to sub().
It turns out that it defaults to FALSE, meaning it *doesn't* use PCRE by
default.  But if you set it to TRUE, Cygwin R behaves as you expect, Toby.

So, the bug must either be in the other regex library R uses by default,
or in the R-side wrapper for the call out to that library.  If it were
in the mainline R code, the value of this parameter wouldn't matter.