Cygwin 1.7.17 breaks unattended setup

Thu Oct 25 00:36:00 GMT 2012

On 10/24/2012 8:15 PM, Jason Brittain wrote:
> Hi Larry and Stefan.
>
> I'm also seeing unattended installation broken right now, when it was
> working fine just a short number of days ago.  I do believe it is a
> change in Cygwin 1.7.17 because the logic in setup.exe (whether it
> changed or not) has to match up well enough with either the contents
> of the package index files that it downloads and uses or the package
> files themselves.. and I think something changed between the two and
> the unattended installer (--quiet-mode) doesn't work.

<snip>

> As soon as I disable unattended mode (remove the --quiet-mode switch),
> if I just take all the default settings in the installer GUI and click
> the Next button a lot, the installation completes just fine.

Which is why I said the problem is within 'setup.exe' itself.  Regardless
of whether some external input may be twiddling an internal bug, it's
still an internal bug.  And given the number of new packages within the
last week, the chance for one of those to be a contributing factor is
certainly much higher than for the cygwin package itself.  But we won't
know for sure what's at the heart of it until someone has a chance to
debug it.

--
Larry