Cygwin 1.7.17 breaks unattended setup

Thu Oct 25 15:54:00 GMT 2012

On 10/25/2012 3:07 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>>> As soon as I disable unattended mode (remove the --quiet-mode switch),
>>> if I just take all the default settings in the installer GUI and click
>>> the Next button a lot, the installation completes just fine.
>>
>> Which is why I said the problem is within 'setup.exe' itself.  Regardless
>> of whether some external input may be twiddling an internal bug, it's
>> still an internal bug.  And given the number of new packages within the
>> last week, the chance for one of those to be a contributing factor is
>> certainly much higher than for the cygwin package itself.  But we won't
>> know for sure what's at the heart of it until someone has a chance to
>> debug it.
>
> Setup.exe hasn't changed for a long time.  While that doesn't preclude a bug
> within setup.exe itself, I'd suggest looking at setup.ini first.  I'm absolutely
> relying on unattended setup and I haven't noticed any problems, much less
> recently.  However, I'm rewriting setup.ini since I merge several package
> sources into a new install tree.  This also means that the general structure of
> setup.ini for Cygwin must still be OK (my script would barf otherwise and I
> think upset would be, well, upset as well) and I'm probably not using any of the
> packages that trigger the bahaviour.  The only ones that come to mind are some
> recent additions that have dots and plus characters in their version part.

I'm not saying that setup.ini isn't triggering the bug in 'setup.exe' but I
still contend if 'setup.exe' can't function properly in unattended mode due
to an external change then this is a bug within 'setup.exe', no
matter how long it has been since its last release.  Of course, a motivated
individual looking for a workaround could certainly remove the newest
packages from their local 'setup.ini' file to see if that helps.  If so,
one could then narrow in on the package that's causing unattended mode to
fail.

--
Larry