Forks paralysing the CYGWIN system...

Walker, Leon E walkerle@lsbu.ac.uk
Sun Sep 2 15:23:00 GMT 2012

Hi CYGWIN,

I may be able to shed further light on the fork problems I have been experiencing.

I think it has to do with the number of CYGWIN processes on the system as I was monitoring during one of the fork storms as it were.

I think the system is running out of a resource such as Process Control Blocks or File Control Blocks or file handles or something like
that. This comes as a bit of surprise because I'm running on 64-bit Windows Server 2008 with 8Gb and seemingly has ample resources but then again perhaps there is parameter In windows or in CYGWIN to increase the limits... if we can identify which resource is running low?

It also occurred to me whether it was possible to change the CYGWIN code so that if the forks fails say for the condition identified
earlier, would it be possible to instead of issuing a messages and possibly disrupting the running script, the code could be
modified to silently wait internally until the fork succeeds?

Leon.
.