MinGW's GCC and __attribute__((weak))

Andrew Pennebaker andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:03:00 GMT 2012

Am I correct in assuming that gcc/MinGW builds on top of Cygwin?
Because I'm having trouble getting gcc to recognize
__attribute__((weak)) in Windows, where the exact same C source code
compile just fine with gcc in an ordinary Unix (Mac OS X as it
happens) environment.

I love how you can bundle a framework and CLI in the same Perl script,
by using unless(caller) { main; }. For lack of a better name, I've
started calling this behavior scriptedmain. Here's a Perl script
example (https://github.com/mcandre/scriptedmain/tree/master/perl).

I want to be able to do the same thing in C, and with help from
StackOverflow I've gotten working C code to do just that, in Unix.
Unfortunately, the C code
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12395130/trouble-using-scriptedmain-in-mingw)
doesn't compile in Windows, because gcc/MinGW and gcc/Strawberry Perl
fail to recognize __attribute__((weak)) syntax. Is there another way I
can rewrite my code for MinGW's gcc so that it compiles and works like
the Perl scriptedmain? Or can we add __attribute__((weak)) to MinGW's
gcc lexicon?

I will also be asking the Strawberry Perl project about their gcc in
case some minor configuration tweak can get this working.

Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us