Pristine-tar 1.17-1 and 1.18-1 block bug or update-info-files bug

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Sat Sep 22 04:28:00 GMT 2012

Charles sent the following at Monday, September 17, 2012 3:36 PM
>Windows 7 Home Premium (64), Cygwin version as of today
>
>I previously downloaded selected packages (past four months) When I ran
>the info command, a list of all info files in the directory appeared.
>
>Yesterday I downloaded the entire Cygwin package (it seemed easier to
>later uninstall unwanted or not needed packages) the following appeared
>in the download/install window during update info files
>
>Package: Pristine-tar.sh: exit code 1
>
>I cannot determine what to post from the var/log/setup.log.full file -
>just too long.
>
>When I ran the info command, only five or six info entries appeared in
>the directory.
>
>I reinstalled Pristine-tar 1.18, same problem; I uninstalled 1.18 and
>installed 1.17 - same problem.
>
>I uninstalled Pristine-tar completely, ran info and the entire directory
>appeared - from Archive through Zsh and mairix.
>
>I reinstalled the latest version of Pristine-tar - same error message,
>but the info directory was up to date; no entry for Pristine

Cygwin-apps is the wrong list.  Use the main one.  (This might explain
why you got no response previously.)  Redirected.

It is probably OK.  Sometime one gets an error message but everything is
OK.  Do the experiment:  Run pristine-tar to see if it works.  If it
doesn't, someone else would have make a suggestion.

Regarding the error, the following will probably be instructive.
$ sh -x -c /etc/postinstall/pristine-tar.sh ; echo $?

Figure out what went wrong.  Sometimes, one gets an exit code of 1 but
nothing is really wrong.  If there is something that you can change
that would be expected to make the error go away, try it.  Then run
/etc/postinstall/pristine-tar.sh again.

If it worked, do the following so that setup won't try running
/etc/postinstall/pristine-tar.sh again.
$ mv /etc/postinstall/pristine-tar.sh /etc/postinstall/pristine-tar.sh.done

Good luck.

To the cygwin demigods:

This might be added to the FAQ at
http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.setup-fails