docbook2pdf errors

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de
Fri Apr 12 15:44:00 GMT 2013

Frank Fesevur was heard to say:
> 2013/4/12 Markus Hoenicka:
>> I have never used the docbook2pdf tool, but these messages indicate
>> that it
>> attempts to transform an XML document using Jade and the DocBook
>> DSSSL
>> stylesheets. While you may be able to get this to work with a little
>> effort,
>> I'd recommend to use an XSLT-based toolchain (e.g. xslt and fop) and
>> the
>> DocBook XSL stylesheets for XML documents.
>
> I am a docbook newbie so I just wanted to try docbook2pdf to see what
> the generated pdf looks like.

You should understand that the entity stuff that you bumped into was a
necessity of SGML documents in the days of yore as there was no such
thing as UTF-8. XML documents can use the non-ASCII characters directly
instead of using character entities if they use UTF-8. This is usually
declared in the header like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

In order to set up your XML toolchain, please peruse the excellent
instructions here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

regards,
Markus