Stack Overflow versus the Cygwin mailing lists (Was: prefork error : couldn't create pipe process trackerWin32 error 161)

Tue Apr 30 03:45:00 GMT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 04:36:44PM -0400, Tim Prince wrote:
>On 04/29/2013 04:28 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 4/29/2013 11:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>> The net is full of bad and outdated advice about Cygwin.
>>
>> Stack Overflow gives you the tools to fix that.  Post comments, post
>> better answers, edit incorrect answers, downvote bad answers, vote to
>> delete unhelpful answers, and gain reputation to get moderator fu.
>>
>> Mailing lists give you only some of those abilities, and the powers
>> that do exist are weaker here:
>
>Then please keep SO and its public posts off the search engines.  If the
>people with rep there are intent on misleading outsiders, it's not the
>thing to replace other resources.

I think that's too harsh.  Obviously no one is intent on misleading
outsiders.

stackoverflow is a valuable resource.  However, it is not really
populated by people who see something like "trackerWin32 error 161" and
can authoritatively answer the question.  In fact, the responses to the
request for help for this particular error were all wrong and the
question was never answered correctly.

If you want a question answered about how to use a common API or
computer language then the wisdom of the masses manifested there can be
invaluable.  I don't tend to post questions (or answers) on web sites
very often but I refer to sites like stackoverflow a lot.

For whatever that's worth.

cgf