Stack Overflow versus the Cygwin mailing lists (Was: prefork error : couldn't create pipe process trackerWin32 error 161)

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Tue Apr 30 07:56:00 GMT 2013

On 4/29/2013 19:42, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I'll try to make the point again: If you are looking for help for
> software then the closer you can get to the source of the software the
> better the help is likely to be.

For purely technical questions, not answered already, yes.

We see a lot of brush-off answers here, though, which simply doesn't
happen on SO.  Or rather, such answers never win the SO game, so those
of a temperament to post them get discouraged.

> Warren, this is the second time that you have seemed to be annoyed with
> me about something I said that was not intended to be a slight or an
> insult.

I wasn't responding out of any personal pique on this one.  My only
point is that SO is worth fixing where broken, not something to be
ridiculed or ignored.

> I'm not interested in expanding the scope of my tech support to include
> working with you to improve Cygwin information on stackoverflow.

I wasn't suggesting that you go on a crusade. :)  Rather, if you see
something bogus and don't want to fix it, know that I have offered you
the use of my sword.  I won't promise to go and slay any and all
dragons, but if it's within my scope, why not.

> However, if you want to do that then I'm sure the whole interwebs would
> benefit.

Already doing that.  I monitor the Cygwin tag in my RSS reader, and have
several highly-rated answers.  (None in the top 10 yet, though.)