ssh login no longer allowed by local accounts other than main administrator account after taking machine off domain

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Wed Aug 7 16:22:00 GMT 2013

On 8/6/2013 16:50, Yuki Ishibashi wrote:

> a) what are the standard permissions *supposed* to be on everything on
> the cygwin terminal-side (i.e. 'ls -l /etc/*', etc),

Unless you existing Cygwin installation is complex, it's probably
simplest to just rename c:\cygwin to c:\oldcygwin, reinstall, copy /home
over [*], and manually merge any configuration files in /etc.  The copy
would fix the permissions on the user data, and the reinstall will fix
everything else.

I know "reinstall" is a way of giving up, but reinstalling Cygwin isn't
nearly as bad as reinstalling a complete OS.  It should actually be
easier than reinstalling some *applications*, since everything's nice
and collected under c:\cygwin.  You don't have to go digging under
%USER%\AppData and in the registry to find things, as when attempting a
clean reinstall of some other apps.

[*] Do a pure file-data-only copy.  Don't use cp -p, or tar/cpio, or
rsync -a.  You want the copied files to end up owned by the one who did
the copy.  If multiple users own files under /home, do each section of
/home separately, as that user.

> d) Do i need to re-sync the mkpasswd -l with /etc/passwd and mkgroup
> -l with /etc/group ? I had previously appended the newly created local
> accounts (with associated SSIDs) to /etc/passwd using something like
> "mkpasswd -l | grep newusername >> etc/passwd" (and something similar
> for the /etc/group)

I would think that when switching between domains and local users -- or
vice versa for that matter -- you'd want to completely regenerate this
file.  Then, *maybe*, copy some entries over selectively by hand.