emacs aborts with gslice memory error

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Aug 13 14:22:00 GMT 2013

On 8/13/2013 9:41 AM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
> I just did an upgrade of the latest Cygwin packages this morning.
> Then from minty window I enter
> $ emacs -Q -nw
>
> ***MEMORY-ERROR***: [4068]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes (alignment: 512): Function not implemented

This resulted from the Glib update and has already been reported:

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2013-08/msg00018.html

Until the problem is resolved, the workaround is to set
G_SLICE=always-malloc in your environment before starting emacs-X11.  Either

   export G_SLICE=always-malloc

(perhaps in one of your bash startup files) or start emacs with

   G_SLICE=always-malloc emacs

Ken