64-bit Cygwin installation is missing /usr/bin/lockfile

Steve Rowley sgr@alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 14 13:43:00 GMT 2013

> On 8/13/2013 6:49 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 05:29:46PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> On 8/13/2013 5:01 PM, Steve Rowley wrote:
>>> I just installed 64-bit Cygwin on Win7, and noticed that
>>> /usr/bin/lockfile is missing in my installation.
>>>
>> As always, you can find what package something is in by searching for it
>> here: <http://cygwin.com/packages/>
>>
>> In the case of lockfile, you can see the results here:
>> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=usr%2Fbin%2Flockfile>
>>
>> However note that, currently, this only searches the 32-bit version of
>> Cygwin.  Some packages are still missing from the 64-bit version.
>
> The fact that some packages don't exist yet for 64-bit is something
> that does deserve highlighting.  Of course, whether or not the package
> actually exists for 64-bit, the package search will tell you if it
> exists in the 32-bit world, so at least one knows what to look for.
> In this particular case, I did go looking to see if 'procmail' was
> already available for 64-bit.  As it turns out, it is.

Thank you for for the pointer to how to find the Cygwin package
containing a file; that is indeed a useful thing to know.  Since
procmail is the home of /usr/bin/lockfile, I reinstalled procmail.

However, /usr/bin/lockfile is still missing.  Unpacking the procmail
3.22-12 tarball reveals that it contains only the
/usr/share/doc/procmail/ directory, and 4 small documentation files.
The rest of procmail is missing.

If this is something that will take a while, then perhaps I should go
back to the 32-bit installation so my scripts will work while waiting
for a fix.  But as uninstalling and reinstalling a rather large Cygwin
installation is painful, I'd rather not do this if lockfile will be
available in a week or so.

Does anyone have advice as to whether it's worth waiting vs going back
to 32 bit?

Tnx.
Steve Rowley <sgr@alum.mit.edu> http://alum.mit.edu/www/sgr/ Skype: sgr000
It is very dark & after 2000.  If you continue, you are likely to be
eaten by a bleen.