Stack size on 64-bit Cygwin

Mon Aug 19 11:04:00 GMT 2013

On 19/08/2013 6:49 AM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>> On Aug 16 16:49, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> The problem that has been discussed at length in the thread "64-bit
>>> emacs crashes a lot" appears to have been solved on the emacs-devel
>>> list.  (I say "appears to" because I'm waiting for Ryan to confirm
>>> this.)  The problem went away for me when I built emacs with
>>> 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--stack,4194304'.  I'm wondering if it's just that
>>> emacs needs an unusually big stack or if the default stack size on
>>> 64-bit Cygwin should be increased for all applications.
>>>
>>> I noticed that ulimit -s gives 2025 on both 32-bit Cygwin and 64-bit
>>> Cygwin.  Shouldn't 64-bit applications need a larger stack than
>>> 32-bit applications in general?
>>  From my POV, if you have a stack-active application, just add the
>> aforementioned --stack linker option, or call peflags -x after the
>> build.  The latter can be done any time
> FYI, I just tried upping the stack size on /usr/bin/emacs-nox, but it
> still crashes. Most likely because the damage was already done during
> bootstrap, when it has much larger memory requirements than normal.
>
> Still no crashes so far in the version I linked with --stack, though.
>
> One thing I don't understand, though: shouldn't a stack overflow
> normally manifest as a seg fault when trying to access the invalid
> addresses, rather than silent memory corruption?
>
> However, /proc/pid/maps for emacs shows:
>> 00010000-00020000 rw-s 00000000 0000:0000 0                   [win
>> heap 1 default shared]
>> 00020000-00030000 rw-s 00000000 0000:0000 0 [win heap 2 default shared]
>> 00030000-001E4000 ===p 00000000 0000:0000 0 [stack (tid 4896)]
>> 001E4000-001E6000 rw-g 001B4000 0000:0000 0 [stack (tid 4896)]
>> 001E6000-00230000 rw-p 001B6000 0000:0000 0 [stack (tid 4896)]
> GDB reports that thread 4896 is the main thread... so I guess Windows
> doesn't reserve a red zone around its stack, but instead chooses to
> place the main thread stack right next to the fully-mapped global
> shared heap to maximize the potential for Fun?

Some googling turns up
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.openjdk.hotspot.runtime.devel/7706
> Windows only uses reserved but only partially committed memory for its stacks. In order to detect when to
> commit more stack, it installs  a one-shot guard page (btw the same type of guard page that is used for the
> hotspot yellow and red zone) right at the edge of the currently commited stack zone. When a thread accesses
> this guard page an exception is thrown which Windows catches internally, commits more stack and
> re-establishes the one-shot guard page at the new edge of the commited zone. When Windows detects such an
> exception inside the _last 4 pages_ of a stack (I couldn't find any documentation for that on MSDN, I found
> this value from manually testing on several Windows machines with 4k stack pages) it throws a STACK_OVERFLOW_EXCEPTION.
So maybe emacs just had the incredibly bad luck to alloca() a large
buffer right at end-of-stack and then somehow managed to skip over the 4
guard pages when accessing it?

Very strange...