Why are the 32- and 64-bit cygwin1.dlls incompatible?

Fri Aug 23 18:23:00 GMT 2013

On 8/23/2013 12:33 PM, Warren Young wrote:

<snip>

>> I just hope this won't lead to more confusion if 32 bit processes
>> started from 64 bit (or vice versa) don't act as expected in some
>> circumstances.
>
> Oh, it probably will, but a cygcheck dump will tell us when this is probably
> happening, because both Cygwin bins will be in the PATH.

Probably but I think we need to keep a close eye on how much this adds to
the support load and user confusion.  If it is more than a small amount, I
think it's worth considering a sunset clause on this or perhaps a switch
(ugh) to turn this on for those that know, love, and want it. :-)

--
Larry