Install problem with latest cygwin

Allan Chandler allachan@au1.ibm.com
Mon Aug 26 09:05:00 GMT 2013

I've been running CygWin on my Win7-64 laptop for some time and I recently
decided to update to the latest packages, mainly because there's a bucket
load more stuff in there.

I renamed my cygwin directory to get it out of the way and downloaded/ran
setup-x86.exe. Selected ALL packages for download with no install and let
it run overnight.

The following day, I ran setup again and opted to install from the local
directory. This went well, right up to the post-install section where I got
"Cannot locate cygncursesw-10.dll"-type dialog boxes for each of several
dozen packages. I also get it when I try to run bash after exit.

I had a look into the \cygwin directory where everything was created and
there's no sign of this file (though it appears under my old version of
CygWin in /bin). In the local package area where I downloaded everything,
it appears to exist in the x86/release/Cygwin64/cygwin64-ncurses tar.bz2
file but nowhere else in the package area is there a file even containing
"ncur". So I'm wondering whether the fact that I'm running the x86
installer means I don't get that file. In which case, why are the
post-install scripts (and bash) trying to use it?

Has anyone else manages to install the latest CygWin on Win7 this way? Can
anyone offer some advice on getting it to work?

Cheers,
Pax.