emacs-24.3.1 crashes on talking to Google

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Aug 27 23:07:00 GMT 2013

On 8/27/2013 12:53 PM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> I have a fresh installation of Cygwin and Emacs on Windows 8 Pro, which run on AMD A8-5500 (quadcore, 64bit). The versions are as follows:
>
> Emacs 24.3.1
> Cygwin 1.7.24
>
> I have two problems with emacs. First, when I start it under X11, but
> not under KDE, it spews a message about not being able to connect to
> the desktop but comes up eventually after a while. It crashes

What's the exact error message?

And can you reproduce this starting with 'emacs -Q'?  If not, then there
might be something in your .emacs or X initialization files that are
making emacs think it should try to connect to the desktop.

> eventually too, even if I don't do anything with it and chews up a
> lot of CPU while still alive. The w32 version works better and this
> is my default now. However, both versions, X11 and w32, crash on
> sending mail through Google. This worked nicely with older versions
> of Cygwin and emacs, which I used to run on Vista and Windows 7.

> My .emacs settings for sending mail through Google, currently commented out, are as follows:
>
> ;; (setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
> ;; (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> ;;       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> ;;       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
> ;;       '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
> ;;       smtpmail-auth-credentials
> ;;       (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
> ;;       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
> ;;       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
> ;;       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
> ;;       smtpmail-debug-info t)
> ;; (require 'smtpmail)

It looks like you're using at least one obsolete variable.  I suggest
you start by reading the emacs documentation on smtpmail, especially the
section on authentication.  I glanced at it and noticed the following:
"Either or both of the login and password fields may be absent, in which
case Emacs prompts for the information when you try to send mail.  (This
replaces the old `smtpmail-auth-credentials' variable used prior to
Emacs 24.1.)"

Ken