xz -9 : Cannot allocate memory

Thu Aug 29 17:29:00 GMT 2013

> On Aug 29 11:32, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> So...this is NOTABUG, right?
>
> Right.  But is a bit lame that it just fails.  Does it have to use
> this big buffer or would it also work with a smaller buffer, if there's
> no memory chunk big enough?

 From what I understand, it will /not/ be able to perform the kinds of
tasks that -9 specifies.  E.g. -9 represents a collection of tuning
parameters, including such things as "and use a gigantic dictionary to
store bit sequences that may repeat, and hence be represented by
shortened codes".  If you want a -9-sized dictionary, and you can't get
it...xz shouldn't fall back to a -8-sized one.

--
Chuck