emacs-x11: new clipboard size limitation?

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de
Mon Dec 2 12:13:00 GMT 2013

Hi,

I'm running emacs-x11 24.3.1 on

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sbhc123 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:39 i686 Cygwin

I used to be able to copy text from Emacs to Windows applications
through the clipboard without practical size limitations. However, since
my last Cygwin upgrade (which updated both Emacs and cygwin1.dll to the
versions mentioned above) the clipboard seems to be limited in size. All
I do is the following:

- open a file containing ASCII text, amounting to like three printed
pages of text
- at the beginning of the buffer, press Ctrl-Space
- at the end of the buffer, press M-w
- switch to a Windows application (any that can handle unformatted text
will do, use e.g. LibreOffice Writer)
- insert the text using Ctrl-v

stderr shows the following messages:

winClipboardWindowProc - timed out waiting for WIN_XEVENTS_NOTIFY_DATA
winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - X*TextPropertyToTextList
returned: XConverterNotFound
winClipboardWindowProc - timed out waiting for
WIN_XEVENTS_NOTIFY_TARGETS

On the receiving end, the message reads something like:

"Clipboard does not contain specified formatted data"

Trial and error tells me that I can copy 6104 characters without
problems. Trying to copy 6105 or more characters triggers the error.
I'll try and see if this number is constant across reboots. Copying
within Emacs, i.e. by yanking the text into a different buffer, is not
affected. The problem persists if I start Emacs using the -q flag.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka