C:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll: Loaded to different address

bartels bartels@mailme.ath.cx
Wed Dec 4 20:18:00 GMT 2013

> On Dec  4 17:41, bartels wrote:

>>> Your attached cygcheck output claims something else.  The rebase version
>>> should be updated to 4.4.1 as well.
>> Don't think there is a mismatch: that output was Marco's, not mine.
>> Unless I misunderstand . . .
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00085.html was your mail, so it's
> kind of hard to imagine that the attached cygcheck output was Marco's.
> Check the version numbers.  It's _autorebase-000425-1 and rebase-4.4.0-1
> in the cygcheck output.

Okay, I see. It takes a cygwin expert to spot that one.
No way I could tell that those two should match somehow.

>>> Ah, that is an interesting one:
>>>
>>> $ rebase -si
>>> rebase: failed to open rebase database "/etc/rebase.db.i386":
>>> No such file or directory
>>> ...this here means that rebase never created the database, which in turn
>>> could point to rebase crashing or not having sufficient privileges on
>>> /etc.  Something like that.
>>>
>>> What happens if you stop all Cygwin processes, including any service
>>> you installed, then start dash, make sure you're in /bin, and then
>>> call `./rebaseall -p'.  Any helpful output?
>> How about this; sure looks like something is wrong:
>>
>> ./rebaseall -p
>> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> Yes, something is wrong.  Looks like you removed the /etc/setup
> directory or the contents of that dir.  The content is created and
> maintained by the setup installer and rebaseall needs the information.
> Don't play games with the files under /etc unless you want to break
> your installation.

It was never the idea to break the installation :)
But, evidently, I did botch my bundle, so to speak.

Rebase is fine now; all I get is this harmless (?) message:

/usr/lib/perl5/5.14/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/CORE/cygperl5_14_2.dll: skipped because nonexistent.

Nonexistent is not the whole truth: it's just a dangling symlink.
Sibling cygperl5_14.dll is fine
Is that a bug or my doing?

Thanks for your (plural, including Marco) most excellent help.

-- - Bartels