infocmp.exe opens in a new windows-cmd window and hangs

Mon Dec 23 16:07:00 GMT 2013

On 12/22/2013 9:09 PM, Irfan Adilovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my 64-bit Cygwin installation, when I start `infocmp.exe` from
> within mintty, it opens up a new cmd-window (not mintty!), shows
> options and immediately closes. However, the infocmp process hangs in
> a way that defies killing -- it cannot be killed even from the windows
> task manager (first attempt at killing has no effect, later attempts
> return "Access is denied"). Same thing for its parent process, sh.exe.
> So far, I haven't found a way of killing these two processes short of
> restarting the system.
>
> A workaround is to either uninstall ncurses or to move away
> infocmp.exe -- with luck, stuff will work (for example, `perl -de0`
> hangs because of infocmp, but works flawlessly with infocmp moved
> away).
>
> Now, has anyone else observed this, or am I the only one? I've tried
> reinstalling ncurses without effect, any other suggestions?
>
> I'm running 64-bit Cygwin under Windows 8.

No problem for me on Windows 7, 32-bit.  If you're still having trouble,
please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found at the link
below with any follow-up mail to the list.  That will help others on the
list do some basic evaluation of your issue.

Larry