Octave plotting window becomes unresponsive

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Tue Feb 26 21:34:00 GMT 2013

marco atzeri writes:
> I had the impression was always like that, fltk is tighter
> integrated in octave than gnuplot,
> so if octave is waiting the pager so is doing the fltk plot.

Yes, that part is clear (I think the same happens with gnuplot, but
isn't as easily visible) and the same happens on Linux (I just tried).
I think that when octave runs inside Emacs, the wrong pipe blocks since
that's pretty much the difference of running in Emacs vs. running inside
a tty.  I just see that this _also_ happens on Linux.  Great, so I'll
have to dig out older Emacsen and see which one of them did work, based
on the assumption that it was a change in Emacs that did this and not
one in Octave.

Gnuplot on Linux still has these strange CPU spikes before each plot
(this was what pushed me to fltk), but at least it stays controllable
even when octave is busy.  Let's see how this works on Cygwin, tomorrow.

> Have you seen differently on 3.6.2 ?
> The main difference is the switch from fltk 1.1 to 1.3

I can't say with certainty for the recipe I gave, but my impression is
that this didn't make any difference.  But in light of the above, the
issue may be different than what I had assumed.

Regards,
Achim.