cygwin make fails when calling mkdir in Windows 7

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jan 3 22:50:00 GMT 2013

On 1/3/2013 14:50, cpow wrote:
> cygwin1.dll version is 1.7.13.

Is there a particularly good reason you haven't tried upgrading yet?

Not that I have any specific reason to believe there is a fix in the
past three versions you have skipped, but it shows a willingness to help
diagnose it on your part, and ensures those who might help are on the
same page with you.  You can't expect people to downgrade just to help
you, if it turns out to be an old bug.

The other standard bit of advice, at the bottom of every post to this
list, is "Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html"

> /cygdrive/c/...

What happens if you move the build tree under ~cpow?  Does it always
succeed, or does the problem remain?

> I've found elsewhere such as running Cygwin as "administrator"
> and making sure I have local administrator rights on my laptop--which I do.

This suggests BLODA.  Nothing other than some bit of quasi-malware
should have the ability to deny Administrator the right to do anything.

> Executing:
>
> mkdir -pv <path>
>
> after the make failure and re-issuing the make command causes the build to
> progress past the point of this fault, as expected.

What happens if you just re-start the make operation?  Does it persist
in failing to get past that point, or does re-starting it sometimes get
you past the problem?

I'm basing this question on the assumption that the Makefile is
well-written, such that if the directory creation fails, re-starting the
make operation will retry the mkdir operation.  That requires that
someone has set up the necessary dependency rules, though.

> Soon, though, it
> stumbles when trying to create another path.

Is it always the same paths, or is it random?

> I'd really like to know if there's a solution to this problem other than
> having to manually mkdir the paths that make seems to fail to be able to
> make.  It slows down my automated build quite dramatically!

If this were affecting everyone, you'd be seeing a lot of yelling on
this list.  (More than normal I mean. :) )  Those of us who maintain
Cygwin packages would all be affected, for instance.